Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Blue tongue lizard and fruit fly netting

Whilst the 50mm rural b polypipe/star picket hoop system works well in that it is adjustable, I thought I would build a permanent frame for the feijoas and keep them trimmed to fit inside.  
Using 90mm pvc storm water pipe,  elbows and T fittings, I constructed ends like this :

After the glue had set well (overnight) the ends were stood up at each end of the feijoas ( we have two - two are needed for cross pollination) and the horizontal pieces were inserted.  These I have only screwed, in case I decide to move a frame in the future.  It now looks like this :


I set the width at 3m as storm water pipe comes in 6m lengths. Height is 2.7m- plenty high enough to be trying to pick fruit.  This type of pipe (pvc)  is really easy to handle - you can make female ends easily using a hot air gun so there is minimal waste.  I have tried to make elbows, as well, but find that not so easy.  I am not sure how well it will function in terms of sag on the horizontal pieces. Time will tell on that and I can always reiforce it on the inside with a length of timber.

Whilst placing the fruitfly netting, I found this Blue tongue lizard  had taken up residence in it, when it had been lying around nearby, prior to being used:


No comments: