Monday, September 12, 2011

swimming pool decommissioning- update

Here's an update on one of my most popular blog posts from 24/7/2010 ( you can easily search for it by entering "decommissioning a swimming pool" in the search box  top left). The tarp that I used had two problems - the first was rain water collecting in various parts
and needing to be squeegeed off -  a bit of a fag but I didn't mind doing it. The second was that the tarp started to deteriorate in the sun and develop tears. 
So I replaced it with 70% shade cloth -  this was a lot easier to stretch tight as well  and should also  last quite well.  This amount of shade should be enough to prevent any algal growth. Note that I have left the water in the pool -  it needs to stay in to maintain weight in the pool to prevent any hydrostatic pressure cracking or lifting the pool out of the ground. This happened to one of my poly water tanks awhile ago so I am keen to avoid anything like that. Obviously water will tend to accumulate in the pool from direct rainfall so every now and then I check the skimmer box and  if the level is too high I pump some out onto the garden. Another way would be to set up an overflow pipe from the pipework behind the skimmer box but so far I haven't done that.  I keep checking the salt level as well and when it has dropped right down by dilution from rain I can start to use it for watering the garden  and nearby fruit trees


Overall I have been really happy with the way this has stopped us needing to maintain the pool and has reduced our use of electricity.  It was quite an economic way as well although you do need to be reasonably handy.

No comments: