Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wet weather

Heavy rain past two days -  the rain gauge was overflowing this morning so we had at least 185mm in the past 24hrs as I had already emptied it at 65mm. Fortunately  we do not have any problems with flooding here.  My aquaponics systems this morning were dead electrically ( fish all ok) -  problem was moisture in a power board from the heavy rain. Even though the electrics are well covered there is still splashing of water that can get into the electrics from underneath. The power board was removed and replaced and all is now functioning normally. I need to rethink my waterproofing system after this rain system has gone.

Noticed some large mushrooms had erupted in the northern chook pen :


but I wouldn't dare pick them for eating as I know next to nothing on which types of mushrooms are edible or not.


Also I have recently made another pond in the back of our property using a large fibreglass  tray that I had left over from when I set up the Aquaponics - I lined it as it had several holes.  The area still looks scarred and needs planting up but the rain has filled it to overflowing :



It is another area of the garden that can provide frog habitat and water for birds
and creates a different micro climate for plants

We have some good sized butternut pumpkins this year :

The plant isn't as rampant as the Jap or Kent pumpkin I have previously grown
so I'll probably replant this type again next spring.

No comments: