Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pale Banded Snail

We have seen this large snail a few times and this morning one of our Grandchildren found another in the garden.

Pale Banded Snail  or    Figuladra mattea


There is not much about it on the Internet and I don't have a reference book on Molluscs.
The shell is quite striking with alternating dark and pale bandsThis shell was empty,
but I have found others here with a "resident".

This afternoon on a walk in my favourite local bushland ( Mt Petrie) this wallaby was fairly unconcerned about my presence :






 Another "spotting" was this butterfly  near some milkweed



It is a Lesser Wanderer or  Danaus petilia .


The usual website of http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_nymphs/LesserWanderer.htm  has information and better photos than I managed to take


 

1 comment:

BernieH said...

We get a few large snails around the place here too. I have no idea what they might be, but it's wonderful to see them slipping about the place. They don't seem to do any damage to the plants so I'm happy to leave them be. Lovely little butterfly too.