Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rocket Goodenia

The other day I noticed some small spikes (racemes) of about 300mm length with multiple small yellow flowers on the road verge near Mt Petrie reserve under some Casuaurina trees. Closer inspection revealed a flat plant (a basal rosette-  like cats-ears -Hypochoeris radicata). I initially thought dandelion but realised the flower stalk was different.

Investigation - including checking with two of the authors of "Mangroves to Mountains" that I know,  has identified it as Goodenia bellidifolia subsp argentea or Rocket Goodenia.




It is reported to  be one of the host plants for the Meadow argus butterfly. I have been unable to track down why it is called "Rocket Goodenia" but maybe it is something to do with the shape of the leaves that look a little like the vegetable called rocket. As it was on the road verge I have relocated some to our property.  I hope it grows successfully and propagates well to help attract the Meadow argus butterfly and also to provide some colour to our garden. 


ref:  Mangroves to Mountains  rev. ed. Leiper G, Glazebrook J, Cox D, Rathie K.
       Logan River Branch of SGAP.





No comments: