Thursday, December 13, 2012

White necked heron

It is hard to believe it is over 6 months since I posted.

The garden has been lower priority due to other commitments but it is once again
"on the agenda"

This morning whilst walking on Mt Petrie - doing the big lap around the base of the reserve that takes about 1hr 40mins - I spotted this bird in a swampy area.  It is one  that I haven't previously seen in our area.

Scientific name:  Ardea pacifica
Common name : White-necked heron







The photo was taken with my iphone so the quality is a bit average.

We also spotted some Dollarbirds (Eurystomus orientalis) this morning high in a dead tree. These we rarely see as they are a migratory species  and don't usually come to SE Qld (ref  Field Guide to Australian Birds : Michael Morcombe 2004).

It is fairly dry at the moment and I am carting water to a few recently planted
natives - grasses and some other herbaceous species that I will detail later

Tom



No comments: