Monday, May 21, 2012

Crotalaria sp

Another plant in flower spotted under the powerline easement on Mt Petrie the other day was this:

 




















It was about 1.5 m high with a fairly open growth habit in an area that is regularly slashed by SEQEB.  My tentative ID is Crotalaria grahamiana.  There are some native Crotalarias,  (common name of Rattlepods)  but this is an exotic sp, if I have correctly identified it. As it is reported to have  low potential to proliferate freely I have taken some cuttings to propagate for planting on our property. There might be some seed pods also in a few weeks to collect. It has very eye catching flower spikes and is also is a food  plant for a couple of butterfly species.


3 comments:

BernieH said...

It actually looks quite lovely. I've started taking notice of the 'weeds' that pop up on the verges of the highway as I drive into town now, and there's some real beauties. I'll have to start doing some research I think.

Tom said...

Thanks Bernie - I was hoping it was a native but with such a delightful flower spike it is hard to refuse it a place in my yard, especially as it is not recorded as a really invasive weed. Plus butterfly food plant - need I say more!

BernieH said...

I have to agree. It's definitely a keeper. Best of luck with the propagation.