Tuesday, July 6, 2010

aquaponics tank cleaning

This morning I cleaned one of my aquaponics tanks - the smallest of about 750l. This tank has my smallest Jade perch - bought as fingerlings in November last year.

Cleaning consists of scooping out any large debris - mainly leaves that somehow get into the tank and then using a venturi device .

When I started up the venturi it was blocked up - on inspection I could see an outlet in the casing was obstructed by a small piece of rock or stick. Using a long length of wire this was pushed clear and it all worked properly after that.

Attached photos of the device - it is attached to a length of timber so it can be moved around easily along the bottom of the tank. Tank photo after cleaning-fish barely visible, 3000lph pond pump and 4 tube aerator and some lettuce leaves also visible. The emergency sump pump/aerator is also in view.

Also photos of the 2 grow beds hooked up to this tank - growing galangal and tumeric ( and nastertium) quite well. I also have another old bathtub attached which has 2 redclaw crawfish in - hope they breed up ok come spring.


No comments: